#10 Part 1

Wadha Al Nabti
Music Production 10
5th December

Process Journal #10

This week the first lesson we were given to work on our roles. While on the school trip to Dubai I decided to be productive and search more on my role as an executive producer, even though Mr. Ball cleared up what we need to do. I always say knowledge is power, the more the merrier. According to my research from the video and websites I've seen, an executive producer basically the business side of things wether its funding, distribution, or promotion. In our cases its mostly distribution and promotion because we are supposed to promote our bands, while showing off their music. However it can be funding, by giving them ingenious ideas for their music, or ways to make the image of the band better, either way they are trying to make the band sell merchandise. Other than that I didn't follow the other part of Hayaan's advice because I know what a musician, producer, and songwriter is supposed to do thanks to Mr. Ball. I only followed his advice when I was supposed to search my own role because if you do your job correctly, then who you're representing is in safe hands. The only role I didn't know much about was engineer, and thank god I didn't research that because Mr. Pardy came and he used to be an engineer. He taught us how before there would be three engineers for the different functions, but now only one engineer is needed because all the dials and switches have been put into one board. Also, he told us about something called ambient tainting and that is when other sounds interfere with yours and you get background noises and static type of sound. This thing ambient tainting has been the thing that has been getting on my nerves for the last two years, thank you Mr. Pardy. He also summarised everything we learn about microphones last year, meaning phantom power, omnidirectional microphones, stuff like that. Other than that what I learnt today about the engineer is that he comes and fixes everything a musician does to make it sound better, so basically be a music critic, however you need a physics degree sometimes because you need to work on a program thats way more complex and different than Logic X Pro; it's basically like a smart technician music critic its pretty cool. After Mr. Ball told us we had to advertise our band, I decided to create an instagram for SMD, calling it SMD_Official4, while I created a vine for G.O.A.T, called GOAT7.



Sources: 

1) It's a video on executive producers and producers, however I find it very blunt.



2) Beaubrun, Lucien. "WHAT IS AN EXECUTIVE PRODUCER ?" Real Music Education. Real Music Education, 12 Jan. 2012. Web. 29 Nov. 2014. <http://www.realmusiceducation.com/blog/what-is-an-executive-producer>.

No comments:

Post a Comment